Sunday, May 10, 2015

Project update 5/10/15

We started digging today so that we can build a new support column for the new beam that will replace the one you see in the first photo.

this will be the location of the new support column (built from 8x8x16 cement blocks and re-enforced with re-bar) and the base depth will also serve as a guide for digging the new footers at the perimeter of the foundation walls.
we will use the laser level to mark a line around the foundation wall and dig down 40" this will ensure that we maintain the same grade all the way around.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

youtube channel

I just created a youtube channel to capture all of the work being done, check it out.

Monday, May 4, 2015

Today the first truck load of demo material is being removed from the basement, soon it will be time to get to work on the project.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

this project is quickly expanding, I have removed the remainder of the Sheetrock on the ceiling of the basement exposing some additional issues. check out the attached video. strangely all of the floor joist on the left side of the supporting post are double (true) 2x8 this is good because the majority of the weight is on that side kitchen full bath tiled. everything on the right side is not so good it looks like the floor joist are sagging approximately 4". At this point I don't see how I can go without correcting this. directly above this sag is a load Bering wall all the way up two 1/2 floors. Everything above has been compensated to adjust for this sag (hide it) i.e floors, stairs ect so by correcting this I am accepting that the stairs and the tile floor in a half bath are going to need replacing along with lots of Sheetrock cracks. 

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

started demoing the finished basement to get an idea about the structural fixing that's needed, and found all of this.

Monday, March 23, 2015

We are considering lowering the basement floor to make the space officially livable, so we have a structural engineer coming this weekend to give us some advice on what needs to be done. So in preparation for this visit I needed to open up a section of the wall along the foundation, while doing this I found some things you never want to do while finishing a basement. Also found two layers of sheet rock with a layer of paneling between them (a little over kill), also a unsuccessful attempt to level the ceiling.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

This is the oldest picture I have been able to find of the house, taken in 1964.