Wednesday, March 25, 2015

started demoing the finished basement to get an idea about the structural fixing that's needed, and found all of this.

Monday, March 23, 2015

We are considering lowering the basement floor to make the space officially livable, so we have a structural engineer coming this weekend to give us some advice on what needs to be done. So in preparation for this visit I needed to open up a section of the wall along the foundation, while doing this I found some things you never want to do while finishing a basement. Also found two layers of sheet rock with a layer of paneling between them (a little over kill), also a unsuccessful attempt to level the ceiling.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

This is the oldest picture I have been able to find of the house, taken in 1964.

This is a set of photos of the Mechanical systems (heat and hot water) both are being changed today. at the same time as this change we also found out we could eliminate about 30' of baseboard this change should stop the extreme temperature deference between the first and third floors. Not a sexy improvement but I believe you should make all of the mechanical upgrades before the rest.

the next three pictures are after everything has been removed, we also increased the water line coming off the main from 1/4" to 1"

This is a map I found at the Cambridge Historical Commission, it was dated 1884. Some time after this the home was "moved on lot" this I found out was indication that the home had been rotated 180 so that the entrance was on the street side.

Friday, March 20, 2015

We have just purchased this home, built in 1864 it is classified as a Greek Revival. The home is located in Cambridge Ma. I will be add additional comments regarding the history of the home as I do more research while preparing to restore it to it's original form.